Awesomeness is a global entertainment brand for the Gen Z audience. Publishing across mobile and streaming services, social platforms and broadcast networks, Awesomeness has built a large global audience with original series and influential content creators.
As a Senior Backend Engineer, you will create Ruby on Rails applications that support internal operations and external distribution. You will implement various AWS technologies as necessary. Your role will be approximately 40% DevOps and 60% Backend Engineer. This position reports directly to the Head of Engineering and will be based at Awesomeness’s headquarters in West Los Angeles, California.
- Create Ruby and Python applications and work with Product to define requirements.
- Manage the build, deployment and scaling processes for our applications.
- Document infrastructure designs, relationships and processes using industry standards.
- Be accountable for backups, uptime, logging, performance, alerts, and testing.
- Participate in scrum process and work with Product Managers to define requirements.
- Work with the Head of Engineering and Engineering Manager to select technologies, determine standards, plan upgrades, deployments, and define processes.
- Undergraduate/Graduate degree in Computer Science, Math, Stats or similar preferred
- 5-8 years experience as Systems Engineer, Backend Engineer, or DevOps Engineer
- Advanced application programming experience with Python or Ruby
- Strong understanding of object-oriented programming concepts.
- Very comfortable on the linux command-line
- Expert knowledge of Relational and KV Databases and structures ( MySql, PostGres, Redshift, Mongo, DynamoDB, Redis )
- Knowledge of AWS, Google App Engine or similar cloud managed technologies.
- Experience using queuing technologies ( RabbitMQ, SQS )
- Ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner.
- You enjoy working with others and are able to work effectively in a team.
- Comfortable working in a dynamic, low-structure, constantly changing atmosphere and prioritizing work appropriately.
- You thrive on detail-oriented work and finding cost-effective, performant ways to store and protect our data.
Nice to have:
- Experience with Rspec or similar unit testing libraries
- Expertise in network and network security technologies and tool sets.
- Chef, Puppet, Ansible or other cloud automation experience.
Awesomeness is a leading multi-platform media company defining the future of entertainment. Included under the Awesomeness banner are AwesomenessTV, a leading destination for original programming serving the global Gen Z audience, Awesomeness Films, DreamWorksTV, and Awestruck. Investors include Comcast NBCUniversal, Verizon and Hearst.
AwesomenessTV is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It is our policy to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, gender identity, marital status, citizenship, disability, genetic information, veteran status or any other basis prohibited by applicable state, federal or local law.